- That our children have a love of reading that is inspired by a broad and varied diet of books spanning different genres and cultures.
- To provide a rigorous and inspiring phonics programme that promotes fluent reading and aids working memory by the end of Key Stage 1
- In early reading children know what to expect from phonics sessions.
That no child will fall behind regardless of family background or barriers to learning
- That children become confident independent readers.
- To provide the children with challenging texts with rich vocabulary and where learning new vocabulary is the focus of our daily Literacy.
- Our children will be either at or above the national average for testing for phonics screening and end of Key Stage tests.
- We will provide engaging and varied texts throughout the curriculum.
- To maintain children’s love of books as they move through the school by taking part in author events, whole school book events
- We provide ‘whole school‘ days where the children are encouraged to immerse themselves in a text, where language, reading and vocabulary is celebrated.
- As teachers we are good role models in being passionate about books and reading.
- Early reading is implemented rigorously through the phonics scheme Little Wandle. This is taught consistently throughout the school.
- Gaps are identified early and with our ‘keep up not catch up’ approach, all children will be fluent readers by the end of Key Stage 1 regardless of background.
- From the very start, the emphasis will be on decoding, expression and comprehending the texts.
- Children become fluent readers by the end of Key Stage 1
- Fluent readers decode unfamiliar words in their head rather than verbally.
- Adults teaching early reading, do so confidently and with consistency.
- Children leave school with a love of reading
- Cohorts achieve at least, if not more than the national average in phonics screening and end of key stage reading tests.
- Children are able to access and comprehend a wide variety of texts
Reading - Skills Progression Document 2022.pdf
Reading at McG - Flowchart Overview